The government is providing additional funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013 to 2020 to improve PE provision in primary schools. It is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, health and Culture, media and Sport.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE in schools, providing children with further opportunities for sport throughout the primary phase.
Alfred Sutton Primary School PE and School Sport Premium Funding (PESS)
We carry out an annual PESS audit to identify areas to utilise the annual funding and improve the quality of PESS provision. Current funding goals target five key government proposed areas:
• Providing targeted activities or support to involve and encourage the least active children
• Encouraging active play during breaks and lunchtimes
• Establishing, extending or funding attendance of sports clubs and activities and holiday clubs, or broadening the variety of provision offered
• Adopting an active mile initiative
• Raising attainment in primary school swimming to meet requirements of the National Curriculum before the end of KS2: every child should leave primary school able to swim.
Further details of how Sports Premium Funding is allocated can be found here.